So, you think you know good nutrition? It might be a little trickier than you think. Take this quiz to find out just how savvy you are when it comes to healthy eating. Scroll to the bottom for the correct answers.
1. How many calories are in one pound of fat?
2. How many calories are in one GRAM of carbohydrates?
3. Tonight you’re going out to a nice steak dinner. Which of the following cuts of steak is the leanest?
- NY Strip
4. Take a look at these two bread labels. Which of the two do you consider to be the healthier option? (Serving size: 1 Slice)
5. Which of the following foods would spike your insulin level the most?
- Spoonful of butter
- Chicken wing
6. Which of these meals would be digested the slowest, thus giving you the longest-lasting energy?
- Bowl of fruit
- Scrambled eggs and wheat toast
- Bowl of oatmeal
- Blue corn tortilla chips and salsa
7. Fiber is important for many reasons including slowing the rate that sugar is absorbed into your bloodstream. Which of the following foods contains the LEAST amount of fiber?
- 4 ounces sweet potato
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 slice rye bread
8. Sometimes we forget how many calories we are consuming in our drinks alone. Which of the following drinks contains the MOST sugar per 8 ounces serving?
- Lipton Sweetened Iced Tea
- Coca Cola Classic
- Welch’s 100% Grape Juice
- Tropicana Pure Premium Orange Juice
9. Sometimes we are fooled into thinking that all veggies can be eaten without limitation. The truth is some contain much higher amounts of sugar than others. All four of these raw veggies contain a higher amount than most; do you know which contains the MOST sugar?
- 4 ounces baby carrots
- 4 ounces tomato
- 4 ounces red bell pepper
- 4 ounces onion
10. Which of these two meal options from Panera Bread do you think has the LEAST calories and fat?
- A cup of Broccoli Cheddar soup and half of a Steak and Arugula sandwich on sourdough bread
- A cup of Vegetarian Summer Corn Chowder and half of a Mediterranean Veggie sandwich on tomato basil bread
1. B. There are 3,500 calories in one pound of fat.
2. A. There are 4 calories in one gram of carbohydrates. There are also 4 calories in one gram of protein, while one gram of fat as 9 calories and one gram of alcohol has 7 calories.
3. D. Sirloin is the leanest cut. Another good option is filet mignon.
4. A. Even though the calories are higher, the fiber and protein are higher as well, making it better for keeping blood sugar stable and keeping us full longer.
5. A. Brownie. There is no fiber or protein to slow down digestion so insulin will spike quickly.
6. B. Scrambled eggs and whole wheat toast is digested the slowest because it has the highest amount of protein and fiber combined.
7. D. One slice of rye bread has the least amount of fiber, and is also the food that is furthest from its natural state.
8. C. 8 ounces of Welch’s Grape Juice contains about 10 grams of sugar MORE than any of the other drinks.
9. D. 1 cup chopped onion has the most sugar per cup!
10. A. A cup of Broccoli Cheddar and half a Steak and Arugula sandwich is more than 100 calories less than the vegetarian option. Be sure to check nutrition labels because they can be counter-intuitive based on their descriptions alone.